Saturday, August 22, 2009

Medical- UK visit!!

Yesterday was a looooong day. My parents and I went down to UK to officially withdraw from this semester and apply for disability. (I was telling someone earlier that same sentence and immediately thought thereafter 'Wow, that makes me sound awesome.' haha) Anyway, yes I am officially taking a semester off.
The whole visit went really well and was very productive. Not only did we take care of my classes, housing, scholarship, and disability application BUT, we even found out that I will be getting a sweet hanidcap parking tag when I return to campus in the spring :) I can't lie, I'm pretty darn excited about that! As much as I try to deny it, that is really going to be a blessing for me. I'm not frail by any means but some days I truly am just too tired to get across that parking lot! I so wish we would've known about this office last year because they take care of so many things for you. They will send out a letter to all my professors at the beginning of every semester spelling out what I deal with and possible scenarios that I may encounter, they will stand up for me if any professor does not acknowledge the things I struggle with, and they will even give me my own room for exams and up to 50-100% extra time granted to take exams! God is sooo good and has completely taken care of me for when I am able to return to campus.
I have to say though, it was very hard to be on campus knowing I wasn't coming back. Not that I don't love being home, because I do, but there's just something about that autumn excitement and buzz on campus that makes it so exciting to go back each fall. My dad brought to my attention that this will be the first time in my life, that I can clearly recall, when I haven't been in school. How odd is that? I have been in some form of school since I was 4 years old and this will be my first ever 'break' since then. If I look at it that way I get a little more excited. I am realizing there is so much I can accomplish this semester and now I'm ready to get to work! So, the day was an overall success and I am at peace with my decision and ready to work on getting healthy!
I am pleased to announce that my first accomplishment of the semester is that this morning I woke up and officially made biscuits and gravy all by myself...and completely vegan, too! (If you have ever attempted this you will appreciate the gravy part :) It tastes that much better when you do it yourself.
Oh, and my favorite quote of the day was from the lady in the disability office who said "It's hard because she's learning how to function like an old person as a young person."...and sadly, I have to admit she is right! That sentence pretty much sums up my life as of late.

1 comment:

  1. You're the cutest old person in the universe.

    I won't even try to pretend I'm sad you won't be at school with me in the fall, but it would be selfish of me to want you to be there when it's clear that you need to be at home, getting better.

    I will visit you (unless you say no), I'm sorry I missed out on your biscuits and gravy, and I love your guts.

    ReplyDelete