Friday, June 24, 2011

Medical --> Off and running!

It is another beautiful day in Louisville this morning as I am nearing the end of my two weeks off from school before the start of yet another quarter of classes. It has been wonderful having a much needed break from school and I must confess, I am not at all ready to go back, however; the sooner I go back the sooner I can be done with school altogether and the faster that day approaches the better :) hear hear!

The first week off I started with a much too quick visit to my in-laws in Ohio County! I wish we could have stayed longer but even the short amount of time we were there still proved to be as eventful as always. Firstly, I got to shoot a pistol for the first time in my life! I had shot a shotgun a long time ago but I had never used a handgun and since Bryan's gun was freshly cleaned and loaded with new ammo it just had to be shot, of course. So Bryan, Steve, and I (and eventually Mamaw) all stood out in the driveway and set up our targets and the three of us took our turn shooting! I watched Steve and Bryan shoot first and got a bit nervous seeing as they are both much stronger than I and they were still having a little kick back from the shot. I was just imagining me lining up my sights and taking aim and then the gun flying back and smacking my face after I pulled the trigger... BUT it was quite the opposite! I shot several times and hit my target every time! Looks like all those days shooting coke cans with the BB gun finally paid off! (and I kept saying "aim small, miss small" to myself from the movie The Patriot. Many thanks to Mel Gibson!)

On top of all the fun shooting, I also added to the ever-growing list of new Western Kentucky words and phrases I have never heard. My latest addition is "mush melon." Apparently a "mush melon" is the exact same thing as a cantaloupe though I had never heard this term before. Either way, a melon by any other name tasted just as sweet to me!

So after stopping in Ohio County for a visit, Bryan and I set off for Birmingham, Alabama to begin the annual Bogo Firework adventure!! This was my first experience in firework sales, though Bryan had been doing it for several years now, and although I didn't get to stay for the big day on July 4th, I still learned a ton and loved getting to be behind the scenes in the world of "slingin' works" as they say. Bryan's uncle, Brian (yes, it gets confusing), is in the firework business and every summer Bryan goes and helps work for him during the busy season around the 4th but 'busy' does not even come close to describing all of the work that goes into this business!! I will tell more later and share a picture or two but man oh man, I had no idea the work it took until helping be a part of it and I have to say, I am SO proud I married a hard working man with an incredible work ethic that he obviously learned from the other men in his family. There is nothing more attractive than a man who's not afraid of full day's work!

After being in Alabama for a week, I then flew home this past Monday (which was a miracle in and of itself. It was my first time flying since my blood clots and I had nary a swelled ankle or leg! Praise God!) Then on Tuesday I had my second Remicade infusion and all went well once again! The doctors said if I was going to have any allergic reactions they would occur during the actual infusion and so far I am thankfully 0-2 :) As for the rest of my body, the medicine seems to be helping some but hasn't kicked into full gear yet. So now it is time to pray for everything to take hold and start working like it's supposed to in Jesus' name! On Earth as it is in Heaven, let it be done! Thank you still for your prayers and support, it does not fall on deaf ears. I'll have more pics and fun updates soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment