Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Medical--> Going for it

Once again, mucho has happened since my last post! These past few months have been rather eventful in the health department for me I suppose and I just can't seem to keep up with everything. Every time I post something, it's less than a week before something else strikes and I get so busy trying to fix it that I don't get to update until it's over! But here I am, nontheless, and confident that this will be the last update before they all become good news only! So last you heard I had just finished my blood transfusion and there really isn't much more to tell from that except to praise God that there were absolutely NO complications from it!! I felt great for a week or so and had my energy back and wasn't quite so pale (hallelujah! :) Having the right amount of blood in your body is just so beneficial. Go figure! I had also started the immunosuppressant, azathioprine, and we were working towards the 3 month mark which is when it is supposed to fully be at work in your system. It seemed to help a lot at first but then after only a few weeks it messed with my blood, then blood transfusion and lowering dose of azathioprine, then... it all went downhill from there. It started at first with me not being able to eat much. I would be starving and then after a few bites, bam, I was full to the brim. After that I started feeling a little nauseous every now and then it started happening every few days. I would wake up hungry but after a few bites I would be ready to throw up and then not able to eat the rest of the day. That lasted for a few days and then began the most awful week ever. I was nauseous all day every day unless I was lying down and not moving. And it was miserable. Honestly, it felt like I was waking up every morning and taking a pill just to make me feel awful all day long. Pretty discouraging, I must admit. Over the course of those two weeks, I lost about 18 lbs., became severely dehydrated, and significantly malnourished. It was safe to say that I was pretty much wasting away and so we stopped the immunosuppressant and got to the doctor. Since then, I have received a round of iron to build up my hemoglobin again and a few liters of fluid to help with the dehydration. I have also been drinking some shakes to help me gain a little weight back (I know, such a pain right :) but I really am looking forward to being back to what ever it is exactly that I call normal. I am happy to report though that I have officially eaten a meal since the whole ordeal! Granted it was significantly smaller in portion than my usual meals but I'd say it'll take some time before my stomach can handle food like it could before. But I've not been regularly nauseous and I have even put on a few pounds I think so I don't look so sickly :) So as things are now, the process for starting Remicade has started and I should be getting my first dose here in about a month. Till then, I am trying to live as healthily as possible and trusting God to continue providing in every aspect. We are going for it so, here goes! As always, thank you for you prayers and thoughts! Working through the rough stuff in life is so much easier when those you love are walking with you. (P.S. I learned the other day that the average American these days has 28 first kisses!! Outrageous huh?! But that's a whole different topic...)

1 comment:

  1. Yes, my dear, Kailen, it has been quite a ride lately! And, I must say, you've been quite the trooper through it all! God is guiding us & will continue to do so...this I know! I love you & I'm so proud of the woman of God you are!

    ReplyDelete