Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mayo News- Day 6

If you know me you should know that I, as well as the rest of my family, LOVE LOVE LOVE football. My Sundays usually always go as follows: Church, lunch, football/nap/football... and that's pretty much it :) ha. So finally the day I had been waiting for was here, however, this Sunday routine was going to be slightly different. I was going to church and I was going to eat lunch but I wasn't going to take a nap. I was going to my very first NFL game ever!!! Jags vs. Titans baby. I was pumped!

As soon as church was over we drove downtown to our friend's parent's condo because it is on the river close to the stadium. We grabbed some food real quick and then decked out in our Jags gear! Normally we would be Titans fans I guess but since we were in Jacksonville we decided to support the city. Plus, the quarterback, David Garrard, is the athletic spokesperson for Crohns disease which is similar to ulcerative colitis. It's just cool knowing the has the disease too and look how good he's doing! ha. Anyway, we were rockin the Garrard jerseys and off we went!

We left the condo and walked out behind it onto the boardwalk that runs all the way down the river. We walked down a little ways to the dock where the river taxi runs. Yup :) we got to ride a river taxi across the river to the stadium!! I was so excited I almost felt like we were pulling up to the ball in a pumpkin carriage :) ha. It was awesome.

So we get to the stadium and go find our seats and low and behold our friends got us tickets in the season ticket holder section! We were 28 rows back from the field! I could barely contain myself. There stood David Garrard, Mike Sims-Walker, Chris Johnson, Torry Holt, Josh Scobee... player after player walk by, warming up right in front of me! It was going to be a beautiful day.

If it wasn't enough that we were at an NFL game, it also turned out to be an awesome game for the Jags. David Garrard had one of the best games of his career completeing 27 of 32 passes and we got to see Torry Holt make it into the top 10 in the NFl for most running yards with a single team. Jags ended up winning and I must say that I am now a Jags fan (even if that was their only good game of the season...)

So the game was over and as we were walking out of the stadium we decided to go and wait at a spot in the gates where the players sometimes come out of to walk to their cars. We wanted to get some autographs and see if we could get any pictures so we waited right outside of this gate to see if we'd see anyone. And boy did we! Soon pretty much the entire Jags team was walking out one by one and most all were giving autographs. So, with a 'little' nudge from my mother I jumped in the crowd and started getting autographs and talking with as many players as I could. Usually this would not be something I would do. I'm not exactly very outgoing in this area but after a few minutes I had the hang of it and even had a few conversations with some of the players! Torry Holt had a black eye so I told him I hope it got better and I told one guy that he smelled good?? I don't know why but he did so I guess I kist figured I'd tell him so. ha. He just kind of laughed and said thanks and I moved on to the next guy coming out.

Needless to say, that was an incredible first NFL experience. I had so much fun and was once again so thankful for yet another blessing that we recieved on the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment